-->

Once I Was 20 Years Old

Fun fact: I actually can't stand that song. But unfortunately, there aren't many songs about being twenty. So here we are.

Yesterday I leveled up! Who has two thumbs and is no longer a teenager? This gal. Funny cause I still listen to the Jonas Brothers. Some things never change.

I had a great day...it started with Jesus at mass. Walking out of the church, Michael was standing in line to greet the priest and i tugged his arm saying "Let's get out of the way for these people" when he goes "Nuh uh, you gettin' a birthday blessing!" WOW. lots of heart eyes commenced, then I realized that meant getting special attention and i pulled his arm away even harder. LOL. Thank God he's much stronger than me, cause I got that birthday blessing and Jesus knows I need every blessing I can get, amirite?
(am I turning twenty or two? and is there a difference?)

Then Michael and I went to Taco Bell because when you're addicted, you're addicted. He proceeded to tell the guy at the drive through window that he's having a great day "Because it's my girlfriend's birthday." He's funny like that. I wanted to pop into Target to get some fun decor for later that night.

I also had my sister do a little birthday photo shoot with me (is that not the most Kate thing ever?!) I got an adorable Kingdom and State dress and some GIANT rose gold number balloons that were screeeaming to be instagrammed. The good people of Howell had a great time watching and laughing as I posed with forty inches of shiny helium. Cheap entertainment? Haha.

I also got a little confetti popper thing off Etsy that I thought would be adorable, but ended up low key failing. I think I was a bit too enthusiastic.
We had to stop at the store to get something for my cake (JUST WAIT till you see that one, guys) and that's when I experienced a birthday miracle:

On our way back from the store, I saw a couple walking their adorable and incredibly fluffy dog. I said, out loud, "Aww what a cute dog, wouldn't it be hilarious if-" when both my sister and I realized at the same time that THE DOG WAS A CORGI. So naturally we screamed, and Michael told me to turn the darn car around now so I could get out and pet that dog. I turned around (very very nervous mind you) but like what was I gonna do? pull up in my car and say "Hey can I pet your dog?"

That's exactly what we did.

After, a couple minutes of searching around in the car (by now I felt EXTREMELY creepy) we saw them in a subdivision. I pulled up, Elsa rolled her window down and said "Excuse me, this is going to sound really weird. But my sister and I love corgis--do you mind if we pet your dog?"

They were very very nice, so we hopped out of the car and I got to pet a corgi. ON MY BIRTHDAY.

His name was Benny, and he was the most perfect corgi I've ever seen.

Then we went home and had tacos with all the fixings and the tallest cake I've ever seen. Then I did a face mask, we watched She's The Man, and I got a Facetime call from my friends in Florida. I spent the whole time telling them about Benny. They lovingly listened.
(Me when I saw Benny.)

As I reflected on my day, I realized something really amazing and important: I am so blessed to have people in my life who constantly push me to be my best. Michael asked for a blessing for me, because he knew how special and beautiful it would be, and even more, he knew I'm to shy to ask for something like that for myself. He also knew it would absolutely make my day to pet that dog-- and Elsa, my little sister who is just as much (if not more) of an anxious introvert offered to ask complete strangers for permission because she wanted it THAT badly to see me happy. Even though it was my birthday, and everyone is automatically nicer to you, these people in my life are still like this on an average day--I just happened to catch it on my birthday.

(Funfetti cause who ever really grows up?)

I'm so excited to see what this year brings, to officially be in my twenties (which is crazy cause old people are the ones who use the words "In my twenties") and to hopefully keep growing and going, so to speak. There is so much to learn. I'm just gonna take in as much as I can. Thank you Jesus for my life. For loving me, over and over, even when I fail. Please take this next year of my life, use me as a source of Your grace and love, and let me bring Your light to others. Amen.

Post a Comment