-->

Self Care: Beat the Winter Blues


I've been having a rough couple of months lately, so I've been investing in a little more self care than usual (let it be noted that part of this self care is learning what my limits are and when/how to say no. This is an important lesson.) I've compiled a list of things that help me when I feel burnout:

Run a bath/spa day
How you feel physically can and will effect how you feel mentally. Personally, I find baths relaxing, especially if you make a little cocktail of bubbles and salts and bath bombs. Put your laptop in a safe spot and turn on some Netflix, or use your phone to play music. Lights some candles. Create a nice cozy space. If I don't have time for a full out bath then usually I'll just pull a face mask from my stash and use that. Or, if you want a double whammy of relaxation, use both together ;)

take a cozy day
This is along the same lines of the bath--surround yourself with your favorite things. Read a book, scroll through Pintrest for inspiration, make a cozy drink or snack. Wear some comfy clothes and take some time to really reconnect with yourself.

pray/meditate
Praying is honestly a no-fail way for me to feel relaxed. Just the feeling of pouring out my worries to the Lord is so therapeutic. Sometimes I feel so worried or overwhelmed that it's hard to explain how I feel. In that case, I find it helpful to utilize repetitious prayer, like the rosary, a chaplet, or a litany. Another way you can pray is to read the Bible or journal. All in all, getting in touch with your spirituality will do wonders at reducing stress.

exercise/yoga
Like I said, our physical health is directly connected to our mental health. Breaking a sweat can be great if you feel frustrated or just need a boost of motivation. Not everyone finds slowing down to be relaxing, and I totally get that! Another point about yoga: a lot of stretching involves proper breathing techniques, which can help calm you down as well.

look after yourself -- make sure you're drinking enough water and eating good meals often. Honestly, enough said. This is a great day to day tip, or a good start if you feel some negativity coming on but don't have time to full on stop what you're doing for an extended period of time.

Meet up with a friend
Human beings truly are made for community. Sometimes it's good to get out of the house, but other times you need the friend to come to you--both options are equally good. Similar to prayer, being able to have someone that will listen to your concerns and help you find a solution is super helpful for stress. If face to face doesn't work, a call or some facetime do the trick as well.

start a new hobby/book/tv show
When I started the show New Girl, it was honestly for stress relief reasons--and guess what? It worked. Finding a light hearted outlet is probably one of my most used self care tactics. I love watching Zoella vlogs on youtube; Zoe and I are very similar, so I really relate to her, and i feel like I get even amounts of catharsis and hilarity. I also started working on calligraphy/hand lettering as a way to relieve stress, and that's been amazing. It boosts my confidence which makes me feel better!

plan something to look forward to
I love this one because it can be done at any level. It could be a trip to Target or a tropical vacation-- just plan something to look forward to. Sometimes I tell myself if I get through a stressful day, I can go home and make cookies and watch a movie in bed. Even that small goal is helpful when pushing through a tiring situation. Just recently I grabbed tickets for an Ed Sheeran's show in September and that's one of the long term things that keeps me going, haha!

journal
I mentioned this in the tip about prayer, but you can journal even if it's not of a spiritual nature. Getting your thoughts out on paper can help you identify and understand them, making it easier to change whatever is needed. Doodles are useful too!

get a plant
There's something bout life, y'all. Having plants in my room makes me so happy, especially in the dead of winter when literally everything is cold and grey.

treat yo self 
Give yourself little (or big, I'm not judging) rewards. Buy that sweater you saw in the store the other day. Get yourself a large coffee instead of a medium. There's a reason why you get stickers and candy for doing a good job in preschool. That stuff works on adults too!

take a dance break
This one can be tough if you're not in the right frame of mind. But if you have a pet, or a sister down the hall, or even if it's just yourself, have a dance party. Blast a, upbeat song that you LOVE and forget everything just for those few minutes. Clear your mind and then get back to work.

I hope this was helpful for some of you! I know how difficult things can be sometimes, but YOU CAN DO THIS. Let's keep adding to the list--if you have any self care ideas/rituals, share em below! I'm always looking for new ideas.

Post a Comment